Thursday, November 18, 2010

Fiddler on the Roof: Tradition, Change and How I Relate


In the play “Fiddler on the Roof,” the battle between tradition and change is a constant theme, and there are many characters that could represent these two ideas. I thought the characters that best represent these ideas were Tevye for tradition and the couple of Perchik and Hodel for change.
I picked Tevye for tradition because he was the main character of the play and he was very persistent on enforcing tradition. He believed in the typical way of life and thought if it has worked this way forever it should continue to work this way. He also sang the song, “Tradition,” in the play.
Perchik and later on Hodel are very big on change. Perchik first comes in as the student from Kiev. He strongly believes in change and expresses his ideas that everyone should have the right to be educated. Tevye is not thrilled by his ideas and neither is most of Anatevka. Later on in the book Perchik and Hodel fall in love and set out to change the world.
I feel that I can relate to both tradition and change in the play though I more so am related to change. I am related more so to change because I am born in the era of change and technology. With all the new products coming out and all the issues surrounding the planet. When I’m an adult there will be lots of change in the world. But I feel I am still linked to tradition because I celebrate major holidays with my family and we still have certain ways to do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment